Degrees and Appointments
- Assistant Professor of Practice, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2023 - present
- Lecturer, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2022-2023
- M.Ed., Teaching & Teacher Education, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2020
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 2014-2017
- Ph.D., Chemical and Physical Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 2014
- B.S., Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2008
Specialties: Chemistry and Biochemistry Education, Protein Biochemistry, Biophysics, Structural Biology
Teaching and Research Description
My primary role is teaching biochemistry for our major and non-major students. I believe involving and motivating students in their own learning is key to creating an open and comfortable environment where students understand how biochemical content relates to their lives/future goals. Students are encouraged to ask questions and challenge themselves. I believe students learn best by social interaction and problem solving in the classroom; thus, I like to create active learning environments. The objective of my teaching strategies is to find where students find linkages between science and the larger society of which they are members.
The focus of my professional research has pertained to characterizing protein structure and dynamics to understand the fundamental causes of disease states, either caused by pathogens or cellular regulation/dysregulation. Using my background in research and teaching, I assist in recruiting and mentoring students; helping students identify and explore their passion in science.